Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Social Studies Project--Presidential Wikis

A Social Studies teacher approached me and wanted some ideas on a few lessons he is covering. He wanted to slightly alter some of what he is doing.

One suggestion that I gave, that I don't think he took, was for the presidential cabinets. He usually has students work in groups to research one cabinet office, and then do a round robin to share the info. I suggested having the groups create poems/song lyrics/raps, etc. I figured it would be more engaging, and easier to remember. I'm not sure if he went with that or not. He seemed to like the idea, but he was covering the lesson in the very near future. I hope that either he, or someone else, can use that idea for some topic.

He also has the students do a project every year where each student researches one President. They usually do a poster or a powerpoint. This year, I suggested, he does the projects in the "my space" wiki format. He really liked the idea.

He's not the sort that wants a great deal of help. He's very confident with the technology. So, I showed him how to set up the wiki. He, unlike a lot of teachers, was more comfortable with doing multiple layers of links and not having everything linked from a list on the side. Most teachers were overwhelmed at the concept, and therefore set up multiple pages--one per class per project. This Social Studies Teacher was happier with the idea of one massive wiki--knowing he could keep track of the links--thank managing multiple wikis. I have to say that I'm of the same opinion.

We discussed having the students sign up during class, or manually creating accounts. He decided not to waste class time with students signing up, and had them create user names and passwords for homework. I showed him how to input those, and did several of them to save him some time (its tedious).

Other than help with the mechanics, he does not want any help in the classroom. Once in awhile he will send a student and a laptop down to me with a specific issue, but he does not want to have me in the room on hand "just in case." It does worry me that this is the attitude of shutting the door that we want to break down with expanding learning beyond the classroom. But, it could just be a sense of wanting me to be more available to help teachers who are less confident with the technology. Either way, I think it is important to allow teachers to move at their own pace. If he is not ready to have another teacher in his space, then I won't push. If I do, he might never be willing.

No comments: