Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Reading Project--Day Eleven

Day two of recording in most classrooms.

I think the shift into full time recording is letting the Reading teacher see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Recordings went much better today. There were quite a few absences, that for now I'm attributing to the Steelers Victory Parade instead of students skipping school to get out of this. That being said, we still made good progress and got most of the students recorded. We were even able to re-record the students I missed in the first class.

Because I won't be here for the next two days (hopefully the last two days of the project) the Reading teacher did a lot of my job. She did the recordings so she would know what to do tomorrow. I also showed her how to clear the memory cards to make room. In the process of that, I showed her how to make folders to organize her personal drive.

Even though it feels like this project has dragged, it has been very enlightening. I think both I and the Reading teacher have learned from it. And, we are planning as we go for the modifications we'll make next year. Her quote today "this will go like 9 million times smoother next year" was really promising. She wants to do it again, even though there were major bumps in the road. She's planned changes that will make it fit more with her timeline (not in January when it can be plagued with snow days) and she's going to focus on just the out loud reading, not the writing.

I hope that she does well tomorrow, since I won't be here. I think I'll shoot her an email to make sure she has my cell #.

No comments: