Monday, December 22, 2008

Creating Relationships

Part of the job of a CFF coach is forging relationships. It's a challenge when I've only been at the school for three months. I have found that it really is the small five minute conversations that do best for making those relationships. Even those are a challenge at times. Many of the teachers see me as the Tech Coach, and assume all I have to talk about is computers or making them do projects. I need to recreate their image of me as someone who is a teacher and also happens to be a coach.

I have also found it's a benefit to be of help whenever possible. A few times teachers have wanted to do projects with short notice and no time to prepare for them. I think that jumping in and doing what I can will show that I'm reliable and, if it helps the project go well, will encourage that teacher--and other who hear of the success and how I can be helpful--to do more CFF projects.

I just need to make sure to keep a balance between being useful to help build those relationships and not becoming a crutch for teachers who will remain afraid of the technology.

No comments: