Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Presidential My Space

This is a project that has two teachers.

The first teachers was a bit more independent about using it. He wanted me to help him learn the technology, and I helped do some of the time consuming behind the scenes stuff to help set up. After that, he was more content to conduct the project himself. He sent one student to me with a technical issues, but did not ask for any help other than that.

Another teacher is starting this same project tomorrow. He is comfortable with the technology, but also more than happy to have an extra person around the room to help students out with the project.

We worked for the last two days on the same pre-project set up that I did with the first social studies teacher. The wiki in use is set up almost the same way. The teacher created a class wiki that he will create pages on for each project. Each project will be divided by period, and each student will be given his own page.

The teacher posted directions for what information must be contained on the page. Then, students are free to arrange the layout, and add "fun" elements such as friends, interests, heroes, etc. This sort of project seems to help in research type assignments. Students are not overwhelmed with having to write a paper. And, because they get to do something more engaging with the information, they are more willing to find it. However, as all the teachers I've worked with know, it is a fight to keep a balance between letting students be creative, and making sure they accurately, and sufficiently, produce the subject-related material needed. After all, many students would be happy to create a my space page with all sorts of funny friends, music, and movies for George Washington (and most of it would be funny because it would be based on something real) without ever caring to do the biography section.

I'm going to be in the classroom to help with the project tomorrow. Mostly, the teacher is concerned that he won't be able to answer questions that the students have about using wiki spaces. I personally think he would be fine, but part of my job is building relationships. I think it is a far better idea to think he'd be fine, but to help him as much as I can, than to send him out on his own.

No comments: