Tuesday, January 6, 2009

PLN

My current goal is to get my teachers--or at least some of them--involved in a PLN.

I would like to see my teachers using Twitter and/or Shout'em. Both are valuable communication and networking programs with different advantages. I'm not sure how many of my teachers would be willing to juggle two networks at the moment. And, if each teacher was only willing to use one, I'm not sure which would be the better choice.

I am personally a fan of Twitter because I find it to be a dynamic PLN. I have for some time been following blogs of other educational professionals and finding a plethora of information, resources, and ideas. However, I find that I'm more likely to contribute via Twitter. I'm more likely to post to my micro blog than comment on someone else's blog. Its simple and, I think, non threatening, even for the least tech savy. It's very user-friendly.

Another tool I have recently come across shout'em.com. It is similar to twitter in form and function, but it is a micro blog where an administrator (in this case me) can set up a private community. This tool would be useful in different ways than twitter. For one thing, it would be private, which might be more encouraging to some of the teachers. However, it would lack access to the huge pool of teachers on twitter.

On Twitter, teachers would likely find and talk with others who teach similar classes to create and share ideas. They would be able to find resources and share what they know. On Shout'em, they would be in a community with other teachers within the school that they know and see on a daily basis. By being able to see and read all of the communication--from science, social studies, math, and English teachers--they could start conversations, that might take place online or offline. By creating a community in which all of the teachers could communicate in a forum, as frequently or infrequently as they want, teachers who are eager to create 21st Century classrooms could inspire and learn from one another, and teachers who are slower to move forward could sit back, read what others are doing, and come into it at their own pace.

I would like to see the teachers use both, but I know that for some (perhaps many) that might seem too overwhelming. I would like to present both as options for all, and help anyone interested set up one or both.

No comments: